Periodically I get requests for liver detox cleanses and gallstone flushes. The detox cleanse is an idea in western holistic medicine, and is not a TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) concept. However, with all the environmental toxins we are exposed to I wouldn't say that the practice is contraindicated: in the correct situation may indeed be beneficial. A colleague has researched various flushes and recommends this one to his patients. I thought I would post it here for those who are interested in doing a liver flush, as I believe this one is rather safe. I do suggest consulting with an acupuncturist prior to commencing a flush. We can support you with herbs and acupuncture with to enhance the results of the detox process. Importantly, there are situations, particularly in a deficient patient (fatigue, pale complexion and other signs) where doing a flush would be harmful to what TCM calls rightous qi (your vital energy). A Licensed Acupuncturist can advise you whether the cleanse/flush would be appropriate or contra-indicated in your particular situation.
The springtime is liver season in TCM, so if a flush is appropriate for you, spring is an optimal time to do it.
Foods that benefit the liver, particularly in the spring, include dandelion greens, nettles, and circulating herbs and spices, such as coriander, cumin, mint (peppermint tea), ginger, garlic, onion and foods with a sour flavor, such as umeboshi plums (found in the macrobiotic section of the natural food store). KB
Here's some comments from my colleague about this cleanse/flush:
4 tablespoons of Oral Epsom salts
1 tablespoon Vitamin C powder
½ cup virgin olive oil
1 large fresh grapefruit
2 glass jars with lids
16 oz. apple juice + beet juice
Drink as much water as you want
1. 9:00 am: Eat a breakfast of cooked porridge, no milk or butter; 8 ounces apple
2. 2:00 pm : Mix 4 tablespoons of oral Epsom salts and 1 Tbsp of Vitamin C powder
in 3 cups of cold water in one jar, and refrigerate
3. 3:00 pm : Have a warm water enema; rest
4. 6:00 pm : Drink ¾ cup of the cold Oral Epsom salts
5. 8:00 pm : Drink ¾ cup Oral Epsom salts
6. 9:45 pm : Pour ½ cup olive oil into the second jar; squeeze out ½ cup grapefruit juice
and add to the olive oil. Close the jar lid and shake hard until watery.
7. 10:00 pm : Drink the potion. Lie down immediately. Lie still on your back and go
1. 9:00 am: Drink ¾ cup Epsom salts. Go back to bed.
2. 11:00 am : Drink ¾ cup Epsom salts. Go back to bed.
3. 1:00 pm : Get up and drink 8 ounces apple + beet juice. Read a book.
4. 2:00 pm : Eat a banana or an orange. Read another book.
5. 6:00 pm : Eat a light supper of salad and fruit; no meat
Many stones will be seen in the toilet upon the first bowel movement after a liver cleanse. It may take several cleanses over a period of months to clear all of them out from the liver.
Following a liver cleanse, it is useful to have several coffee enemas to pull further toxins that are stored in the liver. Use organic coffee beans, and about a quart of coffee each time, retained for ten minutes.
Replace intestinal bacteria by taking acidophilus and soil-based organisms (SBO) for a week after a liver cleanse. Repeat the liver cleanse spring and fall for maintenance.