Chinese Medicine considers preventative care as important as treating the disease itself. If we cultivate our health we can prevent illness and injury from occurring and minimize their consequences when 'disease evils' do attack us. Join Kath Bartlett, MS, LAc as she shares thoughts, news articles, recipes & tips derived from a wide variety of source material, as it relates to Chinese medicine and cultivating optimal health for the body, mind and spirit.


Thursday, March 26, 2009

Homemade Applesauce: Healthy and Guilt-free Dessert


Apples have been on sale recently at Earthfare and Greenlife, so I bought a few pounds and made a easy applesauce, mmm, mmm. My grandmother used to make this and I still remember how much I loved eating it. We used to eat it with cinnamon graham crackers. It's also tasty over ice cream. Though, as an acupuncturist, I avoid frozen, sugary concoctions, such as ice cream.

I've been enjoying the applesauce over millet and walnuts in the morning for breakfast, or as an after-meal snack.

I used my version of my grandmother's recipe. She used to can it in jars. I haven't yet learned canning.

7lbs apples - I used a blend of macs and granny smith: they were both on sale. The granny smith added a tang, so I would continue with 50% green apples.

Whole spices: cinnamon [1 stick], anise [maybe 1t], nutmeg [1/2 nut], cloves [maybe 7 or so]

filtered water


Core the apples and cut into 3" chunks. (Quarter, then halve the quarters). I pressure cooked them on low pressure for about 5min with 1/4 pot of water and the spices [put these in a cloth teabag or a tea ball]. Alternatively, you could simmer them until they get soft. Then I pulled out the spices and pureed the apples with an immersion blender. You could use a food processor. My grandmother pushed them through a sieve with a wooden mallet. Using the modern appliances you get to use the skins, which have beneficial nutrients.

If the sauce is too wet, simmer it down a little longer. No sugar necessary, and boy is it tasty.

The cinnamon levels out the sugar spike, providing a slow release which is easier for the body to utilize. KB

No comments:

Post a Comment